Why We Oppose LATA
TEN IMPORTANT REASONS TO STOP AIR FORCE PLANS FOR LOW-ALTITUDE NIGHTTIME TRAINING FLIGHTS IN NORTHERN NEW MEXICO AND COLORADO
1) The People Don’t Want It! Natives of this region cherish the tranquility of this sacred land. And many artists and retirees have moved here from all over the country especially for peace.
2) Health Problems for People: Repeated loud noise and loss of sleep can cause stress, elevated blood pressure, heart problems, irritability, and reduced daytime productivity. It also reactivates trauma for PSTD vets.
3) Population Shift and Reduction in Property Values: Over time, some noise disturbed people would move away and others would decide not to come here. Result: decline in property values.
4) Decline in Tourism: Repeated nighttime noise disturbance would eventually reduce tourism, a lifeblood of this area.
5) Wide Impact: Population in southern Colorado and northern New Mexico are not just concentrated in villages that can be flown around. A great many people live scattered widely in sagebrush land and mountain forests.
6) Danger to Ancient Adobe Churches and Pueblos: Loud noise vibrations of low-flying double -prop aircraft threaten structural integrity of ancient adobe structures.
7) Danger to Animals: Noisy, low-flying aircraft distress livestock and wildlife, and can cause bodily damage when panic-stricken animals run into fences. It can also cause pregnant animals to abort. Flights could also further endanger already endangered species.
8) Danger of Crashes and Forest Fires: With aircraft flying as low as 200 feet at night in mountainous terrain, there is always the possibility of crashes. Result: deaths, property damage and the igniting of forest fires.
9) Danger of Air, Water, and Soil Contamination: With the possibility of three fly-overs per night, there is a danger of contaminating our air, water, and soil from the toxic jet fuel emissions. This can cause long term health problems in humans and animals, and damage the environment.
10) Danger of Avalanches: Under certain circumstances, low flying aircraft can create down-drafts that can blast loose rocks and snow from mountainsides.